Multinational Corporations are frequently reported to have crossed lines of humanity for their selfish gains by exploiting resources of other nations. Thanks to the activists who are continuously working together and monitoring the expansion rate of such MNC’s while making every effort necessary to prevent them from fully exploiting resources that may harm our planet. In order to fight off ill actions committed by corporations, one million dollars can be a huge support for the rescuers of this planet.
SumOfUs.org is an online activist network that has successfully managed to stop Delta and other airlines that were regularly transporting hunting trophies of various exotic animals. Nestle now is bound to pay more to host countries for extracting resources; furthermore these activists also stopped Standard Chartered Bank from investing into Adani’s giant Australian coal mine, according to Mashable.
One may ask how SumOfUs.org managed to earn a million dollars. The answer is simple; it has managed to stir emotion in the minds of the citizens who decided to donate money for a noble cause for protecting the Earth.
Surprisingly, majority of these petitions managed to earn a lot of recognition and popularized itself with “crowd-based funding” or “micro fundraising.” Avaaz.org initiated “bring people-powered politics to decision-making everywhere” petition in 2007. As petitions popularized with the passage of time, the number of interested members increased drastically from 2 million in 2010 to more than 40 million till today. Right now Avaaz has become one of the leading online activists for gathering followers in order to stand for humanitarian movement. Subsequently, SumOfUs.org was formed in the year of 2011 solely concentrating into abolishing ill practices committed by various MNCs globally. Right now through extensive usage of emotional appeals, SumOfUs.org has managed to become one of the leading online petitions for crowdfunding. According to various crowdfunding experts, SumOfUs and Avaaz have both turned out to be perfect examples of networked non-profits due to successfully broadcasting their messages to the new generation by influencing them to donate more.
At this moment, SumOfUs receives 85% from its $4.7 million budget from small donations while the remaining 15% is generated from various charities. Avaaz earns a donation of $20 million annually which entirely comes from small donations.
According to these activists, nobody (MNC) can get away committing ill practices. And their next target is Starbucks who is acquiring massive amounts of unsustainable palm oil. Besides, SumOfUs’s next targets are Turing Pharmaceuticals for charging extremely high price of a feasible drug for treating HIV.
A global accounting firm KPMG is also their target after the Canadian Revenue Agency accused this firm for helping their rich clients evade taxes.
In this way, online activists are collecting money in order to prevent the evil hands of various multinationals from infecting this beautiful planet.