Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of smart gadgets that can sense, communicate and interact with each other and the external environment. In this system, smart devices are equipped with sensors, communication interface, tiny microprocessor and a power resource. The devices are connected to the Internet and can influence both themselves and the environment surrounding them by using the Internet connection. As the network gets stacked with obscure applications, security threats on the other hand increase. At present security solutions come up short as new dangers seem to destruct the reliability of data.
The technology is very helpful in weather forecasting, environmental monitoring, healthcare, business, military application, transportation etc.
How IoT Fall Prey to Security Threats
- Since the system includes many constraints of a highly technical nature, for instance, of heterogeneous nature, low resource objects, dynamic nature, open environment deployment, the Internet of Things is more vulnerable to major threats than current networks.
- Another reason why internet of things can fall prey to security threats is the real-time analysis of information from the heterogeneous smart devices requires the use of cloud services to overcome the issue of storage capacity.
- It also requires a flexible security mechanism to update its information easily.
- Its environment also needs a secure communication channel along with device authentication to track interacting devices. But a request for establishing secure channel is also transmitted through the shared, unreliable wireless medium.
- If information is shared with unknown devices at the probability of information security falls.
- The pervasive environment needs to deal with user’s personal data and causes a serious threat to them specially when they don’t want to reveal their personal detailed information.
- Tracking device’s location and usage increase the privacy risk.
- Cloning of smart devices by untrusted manufacturers.
Remedy to the Problem
Because of IoT’s ad-hoc and distributed characteristics, it is open to many unique vulnerabilities whose solutions are still not known. However, these steps should be taken to get rid of the threats.
- A central control should be created to provide required security features.
- The burden of the security features should be eliminated as well as it could be too large for small and limited capacity devices.
- The appropriate solution for tracking devices through insecure channel should be discovered, as it’s still in the phase of research.
- The accurate criteria for trust establishment between communicating parties need to be determined.
- Decentralization of authentication and trust model.
- Security and trust for cloud computing should be increased.
- Proper authentication of the object should be done within the network.
- Efficient emergency security solutions should be provided.
- The smart and intelligent behavior of the devices within the network has to be enabled.
- Privacy for heterogeneous sets of objects needs to be preserved
Most of the solution for the new security vulnerabilities are still unknown or in the state of research. The system just needs to be utilized in a more efficient way because IoT indeed is a novel concept and an integrated part of the future of the internet.