Facebook should “stay away from my Kids”. British health secretary Jeremy Hunt claimed such statement as Facebook, Inc. launched a kids-version of the messenger, Messenger Kids.
Children health experts, doctors, educators, guardians, and a great number of organizations objected the act of involving children under 13 years old with social media. Though, Facebook said it won’t use the collected data for advertisement.
However, in an open letter led by a popular organization, Campaign for Commercial-Free Childhood figured sorted out some important reasons with reference: why Messenger Kids is harmful to children. From the letter, we listed the reason. Here are the reasons.
- 1. Social media use by teens has relationship with significantly higher rate of depression
- 2. An hour of chatting decreases satisfaction with lives.
- 3. Eight graders use social media are unhappier than their peers don’t use social media.
- 4. Girls within the age of 10- 12 are prone to adopt unhealthy dietary because of using social media
- 5. Teen-social media users suffer from unhealthy habit of sleeping.
- 6. Already, 50% of the adolescents use digital devices feel that they’re addicted to their phones. Moreover, 70% of them check their hourly basis.
- 7. “Almost half of the parents say that regulating their child’s screen time is a constant battle.”
- 8. Children will feel peer pressure to sign up for the account.
- 9. In the past year, people scrutinized Facebook for “preparing research for an advertising client on how to target teens when they are emotionally vulnerable and allowing advertisers to discriminate based on age 10 and ethnicity and target messages to racists and anti-Semites. In response to some of these scandals, you have personally vowed to ‘do better’.”
So, what’s your say? Should Mark Zuckerberg really stay away from your kids?