Research indicates that the average person spends more than 3 hours a day on keyboard messaging, writing emails, using social media, and doing work. Increasing your typing speed by 20% can save you up to 35 minutes every day. Saving 35 minutes daily will amount to 213 hours annually. And since the active working time for most people is 10 hours per day, you could save up to 21 days per year.
Basic Techniques and Tips
It is important for you to learn the techniques of typing to increase your speed. Some of the tips that will help you type faster are:
- Practicing – practising is the key to perfecting any skill. You will have to sit down and run regular typing exercises. Some ways of practising include employing a premium tutor such as Typesy and KAZ, or using free online apps. These tools will teach you how to use the 10-finger touch technique, and impart in you good typing habits.
- Keys – Typing faster begins with practicing the letter sequences.
- Start by identifying the home position, which includes the F, D, S, A, and the J, K, L ; keys.
- Home base – The home row is the middle row where your fingers return after every stroke. Letters F and J have small bumps for easy identification of the base.
- Rollovers – With this technique, you will need to use different fingers for typing different letters. This practice allows you to save time by hitting keys immediately after previous hits. The technique is used commonly by 60 wpm fast typists.
- Eyes away from the keyboard – Novice typists tend to look at the keyboard while typing. Fast typing requires a stronger connection between the brain and finger muscles. You will also be able to spot errors by keeping your eyes off the keyboard.
- Keyboard Shortcuts – These shortcuts are useful in fast command processing and they also save you time. Various shortcuts can be used for Mac and Windows.
Setting Your Own Goals
Before engaging in typing exercises you, ask yourself what your daily and long-term goals are. Daily typing practices will lead to quicker progress than occasional typing practices. While setting goals is important, be realistic by assessing your skills and capabilities.
The two types of goals you should have in your quest to becoming fast at typing include:
- Long Term Goals– These goals enable you to assess your progress every week. You should be creative when setting your goals. It is necessary for you to set challenging goals, which may need you to push yourself beyond your typing comfort zone. Setting goals that are too easy to reach could leave you feeling unsatisfied. Setting goals is a technique which can be learned from reading great books produced by great authors like Anthony Robbins.
- Session goals – You can set a primary and secondary goal before you begin each training session. For example, your primary goals could be to hit the home row keys at least 20 times without looking at the keyboard. On the other hand, secondary goals could be leaning keys from left to right.
Type Faster vs Errors vs Accuracy
You will experience immediate improvement as you practice and learn how to type faster. However, make sure that you create a healthy balance between typing fast and accurate.
To maintain a high level of accuracy while speed typing, consider the following factors:
- Errors – It is highly likely that you will have numerous sloppy errors as you gain speed in typing. Eliminating sloppy errors requires regular accuracy exercises as you gain speed. Remember that it is more beneficial to type slow with minimal errors as opposed to typing fast with many typos.
- Habits – Delivering content free of mistakes requires the development of healthy habits such as using spell and grammar checkers, reading out loud some of your thoughts, and proofreading. Fast typing should be accompanied by low error rates as the brain processing of the typing exercises increases.
Focus on Lighting and Posture
As much as you may want to type until your fingers ache, you need to consider a few health factors such as office ergonomics and maintaining a good posture. Typing in a bad posture can ruin your back and lead to several health conditions. Poor lighting can also cause issues like computer vision syndrome.
Basic tips to maintain proper lighting and posture:
- Keep your shoulders relaxed and your spine straight
- Take regular breaks from your computer
- Keep your feet flat
- Perform finger exercises when taking breaks
- Use the right chair for long typing hours
- Avoid resting your wrists on the desk
- Keep your elbows at your side when typing.
A correct and comfortable posture is necessary especially when you are typing for many hours every day. You will also need to ensure that the working space has sufficient light. Natural light is better than artificial light. However, do not stress yourself about the type of light that you have, all you have to do is to ensure the room is well lit.
Maintaining sufficient light enables you to see the keys without squinting. You will also need light around the computer screen.
Good Hardware is Essential For Fast Typing
When choosing a keyboard for typing, you must make sure it is the best fit for your needs. To assess whether it meets all your typing needs, consider its advantages and disadvantages. Here is the list of keyboards that you may want to consider;
- A Regular Keyboard – This is the most common type of keyboard available in the market. Mastering its functionality will guarantee that you have an easy time when using advanced keyboards. However, you may experience wrist pain after using regular keyboards for long.
- Ergonomic Keyboards – These keyboards come in various shapes and sizes. The most common ergonomic keyboard is the split pane keyboard, which has two parts positioned at 45 or so degrees to each other. These keyboards allow you to relax your hands and they are great for learning how to type faster.
The clear division of the letters also enhances touch typing. The extra spaces give you the discipline to refrain from moving your left hand all the way to the right side area of the keyboard.
Even though typing might seem like a difficult task at first, mastering speed with the keyboard can really turn out to be a fun event. Maintaining a good posture, working in a well-lit room, and creating a conducive ambience with background music can be a powerful combination on your way to gaining speed in typing.